So…you started this hobby called ballroom dancing and your teacher says “you should do a competition”…AHHH! The word “competition” is a very tough word to digest..but it’s really not as bad as you think. In the ballroom dance world, dance competitions are a great way to elevate your dancing and propel you to the next level. Here are 5 reasons as to why you should do a ballroom dance competition:
- Good challenge and a sense of accomplishment: When you go to a competition, of course you are competing against others within your age group…but that is not what it is all about. At the end of the day, you are competing against yourself. Going out there and dancing your best is ultimately what matters! When it is all said and done, you will have some great constructive criticism to bring back and work on. When you finish your first competition, you will have a great feeling of accomplishment knowing you did your best.
- Speeds up your dance progress: Preparing for a competition requires a much more detailed training regimen. Technique, arm styling, timing, connection, partnership, and overall presence will become the forefront of every lesson you take. It’s not just about steps when it comes to competition…its about proper execution. So, in bringing these detail-oriented topics to the top of your list, you will see your dancing improve dramatically in a shorter amount of time.
- Benchmark performance to improve on: So after all of the prepping for the competition, you finally get there, finish all of your heats, get your scores, and are heading home…so you did it! You are done now…right??? ABSOLUTELY NOT! This is only the beginning…you now have great critiques from some of the top names in the industry to take back with you to work on. There is no such thing as perfect dancing. So, in doing your first competition, you will find more opportunities to better improve your skills for the next competition!
- A truly unique experience: I am sure most people have done some sort of competition in their lives…but nothing quite compares to the experience you get from a ballroom experience. As you walk into the ballroom, you are almost blinded by the beauty and shine of the dresses. The ladies hair and makeup is perfectly made up and the gentlemen are dressed in their competition best and everyone is ready to grace the floor with their presence. And unlike most other competitions, everyone in the ballroom is rooting on everyone. You will hear cheering from all sides as you take the floor with your dance partner and have a smile on your face as you give the judges your very best performance!
- It’s just plain FUN!: A ballroom dance competition is definitely a special event. Yes, you are there to make sure you do your best…but that is just a small portion of it. You will get to spend quality time with your studio friends and family. You get a chance to get to know the instructors outside of the ballroom. You get to laugh and joke with all of your teammates as you root on your studio and other studio friends you meet while you are there. Everyone is there for the same purpose…TO DANCE! And what a better way to compete than to actually have fun while doing it!
Competitions are not as scary as one would think. Don’t believe me? Talk to some of the students who have been to a competition and see for yourself!