“It’s time to get your groove on. Dancing has a way of taking your cares away. It doesn’t matter if it’s the Electric Slide, the Macarena or your own crazy moves. Who hasn’t gotten lost in an upbeat song as they jumped around? But not only does it feel good to the soul, dancing also has some major health perks. Research shows dancing can improve your mental health by boosting your overall happiness. If you’re looking for a reason to shake it off today, check out some of the benefits (in the full article) below. Dance party, anyone?”
Excerpt taken from DANCING ISN’T JUST FUN – IT’S REALLY GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH
(original article in the Huff Post January 2016, By Lindsay Holmes) https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dancing-health-benefits_n_56a79cfae4b0172c65942cf4
Our Moonlight Mixers are the perfect thing to help you shake off those daily stresses and feel all the fantastic benefits of dance! Let’s face it, it’s been a long year (already), and a night of dancing with your friends and dance family instead of watching Netflix (the new Friday normal) will allow you to break away and let loose…and really start your weekend off on the right (or left) foot!
According to Healthline in BENEFITS OF DANCE, “Whether you’re 80 years young or 8 years old, engaging in physical activities that involve dance changes you. From better physical and mental health to a boost in emotional and social well-being, moving your body to the sound of music can transform your life.” We all know the physical benefits of dancing, but have you ever thought of those emotional and social benefits that come with a good, old fashioned dance party? “Letting loose” helps improve your mental and emotional health by reducing stress, decreasing the symptoms of anxiety and depression, and boosting your self-esteem. We could all use a little (or a lot) “letting loose” these days especially!
With limited spaces available of 15 people at our Moonlight Mixers, there will hardly be a time where you are sitting down. You get to dance for 2 fun hours with all of your favorite instructors, while also dancing and catching up with your IBDS family! You’ll get great exercise, a boosted mood, increased stamina, and a safe space to socialize! Everyone is required to wear proper PPE (face mask and/or shields) and we “sanitize those hands” between every dance to our Mixer Theme Song – “Stayin’ Alive”! …and like any good cardio workout, you’ll even be helping your body stave off illness!
We wanted to see how our mixers were helping our dance family “stay alive” and let loose, and here’s what some of our party goers had to say:
- Why do you come to our mixers?
- Joy: “I love to dance! You get to see everyone and dance with everyone while also seeing friends you haven’t seen in a while…it’s a family!”
- Nancy: “I was asked to come to one of the IBDS parties by Joy after my husband passed away and this is where I found pure joy again!”
- Toni: “Because this is such an incredible family! I feel comfortable here…it lifts my spirits and everyone is so supportive. As I grow, I get to enjoy dancing with other people.”
- Blaise and Donna: “To dance…and dance and dance and DANCE!”
- What benefit do you get out of attending our mixers?
- Enoch: “there is a difference between dancing in a lesson and social dancing. It helps my lead being able to dance with different partners of all levels.”
- Sheila: “Getting in exercise and being able to dance with other people.”
- Sarah: “Learning new things from everyone. Also, getting a chance to practice what you have been learning in your lessons.”
- Shelley: “It’s a great social outlet!”
- What is the best thing about our mixers?
- Allyson: “Socialization with people outside of your typical circle.”
- Enoch: “The concentrated practice; being able to dance all of the dances a lot and just have FUN!”
- Sarah: “The PEOPLE! Getting to be with your dance family because we are all a family! I haven’t had this type of comradery since high school!”
The bottom line is that dancing is good for you. So come on and join us for our next Moonlight MIxer – it’s for your health!